Monday, May 24, 2010

Posting #3 - Dreams

What is a dream? A definition of a dream is a “sequence of thoughts, images, sounds or emotions which the mind experiences during sleep”. What about dreams of life? We often dream big as a child, but fail to achieve for a number of reasons. Often, we all end up doing what we have to do out of necessity rather than doing what we truly want to do; or what we dream doing. I hope that as my kids grow older they do what they dream doing!

For Devon, I frequently see him portraying his image of a spy. Watching him duck and hide as if he were James Bond is truly awe inspiring. I could watch him for hours. For Shelby, she often portrays a teacher. She pretends to have her “class” of a garden variety of stuffed animals and toys which she will teach to. Again, I could just sit and watch her for hours. For Jackson, I’m not quite sure. Mainly he pretends to be as big as his two older siblings! He soon will be though, much to the chagrin of Jennifer and me, and he will soon develop dreams of his own. I know that as they grow their dreams will change, but no matter the cost, I will support them in their dreams. Should Devon become a spy, then I wouldn’t have him just settle on that, but to be the type of spy that others write books about. If Shelby were to become a teacher, then I would have her be the very best teacher she can possibly be by being the type of teacher her students wake up for. For Jackson, well, you’ll just have to stay tuned as he gets older.

Dreams are important. Dreams can delineate who we want to be, who we will become, and ultimately, how our legacies will be made. For my children, it is vital they know that we (Jennifer & I) will support them no matter what. I love my children very much. They have truly changed my life and my dream, for them, is instead of growing out of their dreams they grow into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment